Bad day? Feeling off? Frustrated with yourself?
Here are 10 things you need to be reminded of today.
10) Things always look better in the morning. Have a relaxing bath or shower, pick out your favourite book or that cheesey romantic comedy DVD and get under the blankets. The stuff that seems larger than life when the world is dark, seems much more manageable when the sun is coming up. I’m not saying sleep your life away or just give up and live in bed – – – but a good 9 hours of restful sleep will work magic in your world. Get some sleep, dear one.
9) Fresh air and a walk will likely make you feel better. Lace up your sneakers and power walk your way around the block. Or get on your bike and change up your scenery. Run/walk to the corner store to buy a pack of gum. Call a friend and walk around the pond while the ducks feed. Moving your body gets your blood flowing and actually changes your brain chemistry for the better. Exercise makes you feel better. It’s science. Proven. You can hate it, but it doesn’t make it any less true.
8) Snuggle up with something furry. Cuddle your fur baby. Play fetch. Or put a tin foil bow on the end of a string and watch your cat go bonkers. Having a pet is reassuring and heartwarming. Knowing they love you for you feels good. Love ’em back.
7) Writing down your thoughts and feelings clears your head. Journaling is like dumping the trash in your brain. Pick a pretty note book up at a bookstore, or a Dollarstore and a package of gel pens and go nuts. Make plans. Dream. Write out the worries. Angry words or heartbreak. Your wishes. And prayers. Your writing doesn’t have to be perfect. It can be chunks of nonsense, terrible spelling and poor grammar. SO?! It’s YOUR book. Hide it between the mattresses in your bed for safe-keeping.
6) You can always take a break and come back to it. When you’re struggling with a decision or situation or problem, it often helps to walk totally away from it and come back to it later with fresh eyes. Allow yourself to be distracted. Be willing to walk away from whatever your brain is fixed on and know you can come back to it later. Trust me, the big shit ain’t goin’ anywhere. And if it’s little shit, it might even sort itself out while you’re away.
5) You don’t have to have all the answers today. Your life isn’t a race. You’re not in competition with anyone. No one is going to give you a D+ if you don’t have your life figured out today. Or tomorrow. Or next year. All those things meant for you will not pass you by. Know this: most of us adults don’t have a clue what we’re doing from day to day. Cut yourself some slack and be willing to be led – or fly by the seat of your pants. You’re young. You’re absolutely capable. You’ll figure it out when you figure it out.
4) It’s not as bad as you think it is. It rarely is. There are things that feel like the end of the world – – until the next big thing comes along and puts all the little troubles in perspective. There are going to be moments that knock the wind out of you. Yes, life hurts, sometimes. But, perspective is everything. Label yourself a survivor. Resilient. The star quarterback. You’ve. got. this. Decide to rise.
3) You’re lovable NO. MATTER. WHAT. You still don’t get it, do you? There is nothing you have done or could do that reduces your inherent worth. You matter because you’re here. You’re lovable because you just are. Even when you’re PMSing and gorging on chocolate. And drank too much and then threw up in the tub. And can’t make a decision without consulting ten people (you will one day). And cry so easily. And were violated. And are depressed. And feel worthless. Oh, dear one, it’s so hard to believe, but I would NEVER lie to you. You are lovable. Always. Every day. No matter what.
2) You’re doing a great job at Life. There is no rule book for what we’re doing here. Explore. Make a mess. Clean it up. Laugh. Have an adventure. Change jobs til you find the right one. Pick a new major. Take the class over. Decide to wait for the right one. Listen to your body and honor what it tells you. Experiment (safely and with great self-respect.) Whatever you’re doing today, WELL DONE! I couldn’t have done it any better myself. You’re doing a great job. I’m proud of you. Keep up the good work.
1) Pat yourself on the back once in a while. Kiddo … sweetheart … babydoll. You’re so dang hard on yourself. No one judges you like you do. Do me a favour and just darn well congratulate yourself on getting this far in your life. Everyday that you wake up and get your pants on and get out the door on time, YOU’RE WINNING. Be kinder to yourself. Give yourself a break. Roll with the punches. Go with the flow. And remember you’re doing everything perfectly for where you’re at today. Recognize how far you’ve come.
Love you, little sister.
Take it easy on yourself.